Built in 1685, on the site of – by some 600 years – the oldest church on Dublin’s North Side, this Church of Ireland parish houses what must be the city’s most extraordinary attraction. Due to an unusual combination of magnesium salts in limestone, the crypts beneath the church are without any moisture, resulting in the perfect preservation of those buried within. Four damaged coffins reveal their inhabitants, and the dungeon-like setting makes it quite a spine-tingling sight. The adjacent crypt contains the ornate coffins of The Earl of Leitrim’s family as well as artefacts and coffins from the 1798 Rising and death mask of Irish revolutionary Wolfe Tone. Open: March to Oct Mon-Fri 10am-12.45pm & 2pm-4.45pm (closed 1pm-2pm). Nov to March Mon-Fri 12.30pm-3.30pm. Sat 10am-12.45pm ( extended Summer hours, check our website www.stmichans.com for details ). May close for tours due to weddings, funerals and other church events.Adults €6 Others/Concessions €4.

Church St, D7
t. (+353)(0)1 872 4154
Luas Smithfield/Four Courts

www.stmichans.com